Advice for international students and graduates

Choosing to study chemical engineering at a university abroad can be an exciting and rewarding experience, but it’s important to research not only the course, university and local area, but also anything that may impact your stay in that country, for example any visa requirements.

Things to think about:

    • which visa will you need to study in your chosen country?
    • how long will it take to apply for a visa?
    • will you be able to stay in the country after graduation? And if so, for how long?
    • will you need to apply for a different type of visa in order to work in your chosen country?
    • do companies in your chosen country have restrictions on who they're able to recruit?


Visa information for students and graduates will vary by country, but here are a few useful links:


When coming to the end of your degree course, you may have to apply for a different type of visa to be allowed to stay in your chosen country for work.

Always make sure to check with the employer (and the recruitment agency if applicable) that they’re able to sponsor your work visa, and seek advice from the immigration/border control agency of the relevant country before accepting a job/work placement.

Your global membership body

If you’re an IChemE member studying abroad or relocating to another country for work, make sure to let us know of any changes to your contact information by logging in to My IChemE. This will ensure that you’re linked with the appropriate regional member group giving you access to local training and networking events.

My IChemE